What Causes Flooding and Will My Homeowners Insurance Cover Flood Damage?

July 6, 2018

Does homeowner's insurance cover water damage?

Most standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flooding caused by extreme weather conditions such as spring thaw or generalized flooding that originates from outside your home. Even backed-up sewers aren't covered on most policies unless you pay extra for this coverage.

Homeowner's insurance flood coverage

Between 2007 and 2011, the average residential flood claim was almost $30,000. A few inches of water damage inside your home can add up quickly. Buying flood coverage could protect your family from severe financial loss.

The cost for homeowner's insurance, water damage repair and content replacement depends on how much insurance you purchase and what it covers. A homeowner's policy with flood insurance usually covers all buildings and contents. However, content insurance is optional, and the amount you need should be discussed with your agent.

If your home is located in a moderate-to-low-risk area, you might be eligible for preferred flood insurance rates if you include this product in your insurance portfolio along with other coverage such as auto insurance.

Homes located in flood zones

Homes located in flood zones are considered high-risk but are still eligible for standard-rate flood insurance policies. All homes located in high-risk flood areas that have a mortgage through a federally regulated or insured lender must purchase a flood insurance policy. Flood insurance premiums are based on certain factors including:

Age of building(s)

Occupancy numbers

Number of floors

Location of contents

Severity of flood risk (rated flood zone)

The location of the first (lowest) floor to the elevation requirement on the flood zone map for your area (used for newer buildings)

The preferred deductible amount compared with the amount of building and content coverage

There are additional homeowner's insurance coverage options offered by Safety. Review our products for more information on our endorsements.

Please contact your Independent Agent if you have any questions about your coverage. Your Independent Agent can also provide you with flood insurance quotes and coverage.